VSG Hosting Acceptable Use Policy
The purpose of this policy is to outline the
acceptable use of web hosting, dedicated server, colocation
service and network connectivity at VSG Hosting. These rules
are in place to protect VSG Hosting and its customers.
Inappropriate use exposes VSG Hosting to risks including
virus attacks, compromise of network systems and services, and
2. Unacceptable Use
The following activities are, in general,
prohibited. Under no circumstances is the customer authorized
to engage in any activity that is illegal under local, state,
federal or international law while utilizing VSG Hosting-owned resources, including but not limited to VSG Hosting's servers, customer's colocated servers while residing
on VSG Hosting's facility and VSG Hosting's network.
VSG Hosting will be the sole arbiter as to
what constitutes as unacceptable use. If in doubt, please
contact VSG Hosting before proceeding.
The lists below are by no means exhaustive,
but attempt to provide a framework for activities which fall
into the category of unacceptable use
The following activities are strictly
prohibited, with no exceptions:
Copyrighted Materials and
- Violations of the rights of any person or company
protected by copyright, trade secret, patent or other
intellectual property, or similar laws or regulations,
including, but not limited to, the installation or
distribution of "pirated" or other software products that
are not appropriately licensed for use by the customer.
- Unauthorized copying of copyrighted material including,
but not limited to, digitization and distribution of
photographs from magazines, books or other copyrighted
sources, copyrighted music, and the installation of any
copyrighted software for which the customer or the end user
does not have an active license is strictly prohibited.
- Exporting software, technical information, encryption
software or technology, in violation of international or
regional export control laws, is illegal.
- Storing or distributing adult-related material.
System and Network Activities
- Introduction of malicious programs into the network or
server (e.g., viruses, worms, Trojan horses, e-mail bombs,
- Revealing your account password to others or allowing
use of your account by others that are not a direct member
of your company. This includes family and other household
members when work is being done at home.
- Using a VSG Hosting computing asset to actively engage
in procuring or transmitting material that is in violation
of sexual harassment or hostile workplace laws in the user's
- Making fraudulent offers of products, items, or services
originating from any VSG Hosting's server or network.
- Effecting security breaches or disruptions of network
communication. Security breaches include, but are not
limited to, accessing data of which the customer is not an
intended recipient or logging into a server or account that
the customer is not expressly authorized to access. For
purposes of this section, "disruption" includes, but is not
limited to, network sniffing, pinged floods, packet
spoofing, denial of service, and forged routing information
for malicious purposes.
- Port scanning or security scanning is expressly
prohibited unless prior notification to VSG Hosting is
- Executing any form of network monitoring which will
intercept data not intended for the customer's account/host.
- Circumventing user authentication or security of any
host, network or account.
- Interfering with or denying service to any user other
than the customer's account/host (for example, denial of
- Using any program/script/command, or sending messages of
any kind, with the intent to interfere with, or disable, a
user's terminal session, via any means, locally or via the
- Running any IRC related scripts or programs, including
but not limited to eggdrop, bnc, ircdaemon and irc bot.
- Running any process / daemon / service in the background
on VSG Hosting's shared server without prior VSG Hosting's approval.
- On VSG Hosting's shared server, running CGI or
server-side scripts or programs, intentionally or otherwise
using excessive amount of system resources or causing
degradation of server performance. Any such process will be
terminated without prior warning or notice. VSG Hosting
will be the sole arbiter of what constitutes excessive use
of system resources and degraded server performance.
- Accessing system files or files that do not belong to
Email and Communications Activities
- Sending unsolicited email messages, including the
sending of "junk mail" or other advertising material to
individuals who did not specifically request such material
- Any form of harassment via email, telephone or paging,
whether through language, frequency, or size of messages.
- Unauthorized use, or forging, of email header
- Solicitation of email for any other email address, other
than that of the poster's account, with the intent to harass
or to collect replies.
- Creating or forwarding "chain letters", "Ponzi" or other
"pyramid" schemes of any type.
- Use of unsolicited email originating from within VSG Hosting's networks or other Internet service providers on
behalf of, or to advertise, any service hosted by VSG Hosting or connected via VSG Hosting's network.
- Posting the same or similar non-business-related
messages to large numbers of Usenet newsgroups (newsgroup
VSG Hosting reserves the right to suspend
or terminate without warning or notice, the account and
services to any customer found to have violated this policy.
Furthermore, the customer may be liable for a penalty of $500
Spam Unauthorized and/or
unsolicited electronic mass mailings.
Rev 1.0 - October 15, 2002